Acuity and Stability
Several definitions exist.
- One is the amount of time or attention expected to be needed by a patient.
- A more commonly-used definition is that used here: nearness to discharge.
- A patient who is near discharge has a low acuity score (1 on a scale of 1 to 4).
- A patient who is most acute or least stable will have a score of 4.
- Acuity scores are used for patient assignments. Nurse managers consider acuity when making assignments. When patients have high acuity, fewer are assigned.
Go to other assessments.